Wednesday, 14 December 2011

First Final Project

Final Project #1

This is my final project for a class called Draping. Draping class = making everything on the mannequin without a pattern. To be honest, I had no faith in this dress when I began working on it. I can make my own patterns and things come out perfect, but making a dress without making a pattern first is extremely difficult for me.. My first project in that class was a disaster and so I was somewhat surprised with the outcome of this. I LOVE the fabric and was apprehensive about using because I thought the dress would be a disaster.. In the end, I'm glad I did. This is a 1950s reproduction of a 1950s Robert Piguet. I changed it up a bit and voila, this is what I ended up with. Under is a light crinoline (which I could definitely have made bigger). The dress stops right below mid-calf and has a hatler top with a cross-over effect. I added the sash around the waist, which is tied at back in a bow. The back of the dress is in a low scoop shape. I'm still trying to download pictures from my new phone onto my computer, but, when I do, I'll put up pictures of the back!

Let me know what you think :)


  1. Lovely dress and it looks so comfortable also.
    (blogging buddies)
    PS - I also joined your blog - please checkout my blog: Thanks

  2. Thank you very much for your lovely comment and for your following! Will return the favor :)

  3. Great job! My mom is making a dress without a pattern right now, so I hope it comes out as fantastic as yours. :)

  4. It's very cute! I never knew exactly what it was called when people put the fabric right on the dressform, but now I know! :-)

  5. Thanks so much :)
    Glad to have been of service ;)

  6. Wow, that came out great! I love it when you do something without a direction and it turns out amazing =) Very cute dress.

  7. Wow, that dress is stunning! Great work, I don't sew but I can imagine doing it without a pattern is tough!